Send Money Fast
With Western Union Money Transfer, its quick and easy to send money to your family back home in India. Our money transfer options offer you the convenience and dependability you need -- and the peace of mind you deserve.
What is Western Union?Open or Close
Western Union Financial Services, Inc. is a global leader in money transfer and messaging services. Known for its pioneering telegraph service, Western Union dates back to 1851 and introduced electronic money transfer service in 1871. Western Union has thousands of Agent locations in countries and territories worldwide.
What is the Western Union Money Transfer service to India?Open or Close
You can use cash to send money to India from participating Agent locations around the world. You can also send money to India online or by phone from the U.S. and Canada. Use your credit* or debit card** to send online or by calling 1-800-CALL-CASH. *If you use your credit card, you may be charged an additional cash advance fee by your card issuer for this service.
**U.S. or Canadian bank-issued cards only.
Who uses the Western Union Money Transfer service? Anyone who needs to send money quickly and reliably.
What are the benefits of using Western Union to send money?Open or Close
It's RELIABLE - Each transfer is protected by an advanced worldwide security system and can be verified with a unique Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN). In addition, Western Union's Agent locations in India are authorized by the Reserve Bank of India.
It's FAST - money is available minutes after it is sent, subject to Agent location's hours of operation.
It's CONVENIENT - it's your choice. You can send money to India online, by phone, or from an Agent location. Plus, there's no need to have an account.
With thousands of Agent locations worldwide, there's sure to be a Western Union Agent location that's convenient for you.
Can money be sent from India?Open or Close
No. Western Union offers "receive" or payout service only in India.
Can a business use the Western Union Money Transfer service to send money?Open or Close
No. Due to Indian government regulations, the use of the Western Union Money Transfer services to India by businesses is not permitted.
Is Western Union authorized by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI)?Open or Close
Western Union's Agents in India are authorized by the Reserve Bank of India.
Do I need a bank account to use the Western Union Money Transfer service?Open or Close
To send or receive money at an Agent location, Western Union does not require credit cards, bank accounts, memberships or citizenship papers. Receivers in India may need to show a currently valid government-issued photo ID. Additional information may be necessary to meet government requirements depending on the amount being sent or received. To send money online, you will need a U.S.- or Canadian-based Visa® or MasterCard® credit or debit card. To send money via 1-800-CALL-CASHSM, you will need a U.S.-or Canadian based Visa®, MasterCard® or Discover® credit or debit card.
How much money can I send to India via Western Union?Open or Close
There is a $2,500 US Dollars maximum limit set for remittances to India due to the regulations of the Reserve Bank of India
What currencies can I send via Western Union?Open or Close
Generally, Agent locations only except cash in local currency. You cannot send money from India. The receiver in India will be paid out in Indian rupees.
How do I send money at a Western Union Agent location? Open or Close
• A customer completes a To Send Money form at a Western Union Agent location.
• The clerk at the Agent location collects the transfer amount plus applicable fees and processes the transaction.
• The sender receives a Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) to track the status of the order and to share with the receiver to pick up the funds in India.
How do I send money over the telephone or online?Open or Close
You will need a U.S. or Canadian-based credit or debit card to send your money over the phone at 1-800-CALL-CASHSM or online. Other fees may apply.
What is the MTCN and why do I need it?Open or Close
The Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN) is a number printed on your receipt that allows you and Western Union track your transaction. It is also required for the receiver to have the MTCN to pick up funds in India.
How can I ensure that my money gets there quickly?Open or Close
Supply correct contact details in case Western Union needs to contact you. Also, be sure to have your recipient's correct full name and address. The recipient will be required to show valid identification and the MTCN.
How can I pay for a Western Union Money Transfer transaction?Open or Close
All Western Union Money Transfer transactions sent from an Agent location must be paid in cash. Transactions originated by telephone - 1-800-CALL-CASHSM -and online must be paid for via a U.S. or Canadian-based credit or debit card
Where can money be picked up in India?Open or Close
Western Union Agents are independent businesses that provide money transfer service to their customers on behalf of Western Union. In India, money may be picked up at any of the more than 50,000 participating Agent locations in over 650 cities: Home delivery is also available nationwide in India. Cash will not be delivered via home delivery option. check or draft must be deposited into the bank account of the receiver only and is subject to clearing procedures of the local bank. Call 1-800-325-6000 in the U.S. or Canada. In India call 1-600-44-1851
How can I find a Western Union Agent location?Open or Close
In the U.S., the South Asian toll-free number is 1-800-435-2226 where customer service representatives can assist you in Hindi, Tamil, Malyalam, Urdu and English. Customers can also find an Agent location online.
For any inquiries in India reach us* at:
- +91 80 2222 1851
- 1-800-425-1851 (Toll Free line, available to all MTNL/BSNL users in India)
- Users in India can SMS "WU CALL" and send to 53636 for a call back in some time.
How many Western Union Agent locations are there in India? There are more than 50,000 Western Union Agent locations in India.
How do I receive money at a Western Union Agent location?Open or Close
• The receiver completes a "To Receive Money" form at any Western Union agent location and provides a valid government-issued photo ID.
• The clerk at the Agent location then pays funds to recipient.
How long does it take to send money via the Western Union Money Transfer service?Open or Close
Transfers are completed and money is available for pick-up at receiving Agent locations in India within minutes. (Subject to transaction approval and hours of operation of receiving Agent locations.)
Will my receiver be paid in cash?Open or Close
Maximum cash payout amount for Indian nationals is 50,000 IN Rupee; payouts over 50,000 IN Rupee will be paid by local check. There is no cash payout limit for foreign passport holders in India. Cash will not be delivered via home delivery option. check or draft must be deposited into the bank account of the receiver only and is subject to clearing procedures of the local bank.
What type of exchange rate does Western Union apply to its transactions?Open or Close
In addition to the transfer fees applicable to the transaction, a currency exchange rate set by Western Union will be applied. The exchange rate applied by Western Union provides customers with less foreign currency per dollar than Western Union receives when it obtains foreign currency. Western Union keeps the difference. The exchange rate varies daily. For information concerning the current currency exchange rates provided by Western Union, in U.S. call toll-free to 1-800-435-2226. Outside of the U.S., please contact your local Agent location.
Will my receiver have to pay any charges on the money sent?Open or Close
No. The sender pays all fees
How do I know if my receiver has picked up the money?Open or Close
From the U.S., to verify if the receiver has picked up the money or to track your transaction, call 1-800-432-2226 or track the status online. For better results, be sure to have your MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number) available.
During what hours is the Western Union Money Transfer service available?Open or Close
Western Union provides service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Each Agent location determines its own hours of operation, although many Agent locations maintain extended hours of operation and some are open 24 hours a day.
Restrictions and Special Notes Receiving in India:
Open or Close
- As a government requirement, maximum payout amount is not more than $2,500 US dollars (or IN Rupee equivalent) per transaction. Sender threshold amount has therefore been set at Indian Rupees 111,317 to ensure exchange fluctuations do not result in the transaction being declined to the receiver.
- Maximum cash payout for all Indian nationals and all residents (Indian or Foreign) is 50,000 IN Rupee; Payouts over 50,000 IN Rupee will be paid by local crossed check only.
- There is no cash payout limit for foreign passport holders in India.
- As a government requirement, a payee can only receive a maximum of 12 transactions per calendar year.
- Receiver must present valid identification.
- Receiver must present correct money transfer Control Number (MTCN).
- Will Call transfers to the states and Islands of Tamil Nadu, Kerela, Andhra Pradesh, Andaman/Nicobar or Pondicherry will be charged a special flat fee per transaction, regardless of principal amount being sent. The implementation of this special pricing for India is on a state level for India's coastal regions.
General Information: Open or Close
- Sender's full address must be included on all money transfers to India.
- Pursuant to Indian government regulations, money transfer payments are reserved for private consumer use only and cannot be used for commercial or business purposes, for purchase of property, or for investments.
- Test Question is not allowed.
- Paying location is required to maintain a photocopy of identification documents presented by the Receiver.
- A new International Money Transfer destination has been created called 'India Tsunami Region' for transfers to these regions. Please verify the destination state with the sender before sending to India.
- Money Transfer payments are reserved for private consumer use only and cannot be paid for commercial or business purposes, for purchase of property, or for investments.
Online FraudOpen or Close
Sending money to someone you don't know? You could be at risk for consumer fraud. The Western Union Money Transfer® service is a great way to send money to people you know and trust. If you need to send money to someone you don't know well, you may be putting yourself at risk for fraud. Because we care about consumers, Western Union urges you to protect yourself from fraud by considering the following:
- Never send money to a stranger using a money transfer service.
- Beware of deals or opportunities that seem too good to be true.
- Don't use money transfer services to pay for things like online auction purchases.
- Never send money to pay for taxes or fees on foreign lottery winnings
If you think you have been a victim of fraud, please contact your local Western Union Agent.